Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Body Image/Figures/Adolescence... Does 'Size MATTER'? (ID)

Currently in Health Class I am learning about different types of body disorders. I've learned about a woman name Rudine Howard who was born in 1962 and died in 1994 of Anorexia Nervosa. I knew about eating disorders, but I didn't know how severe they could be. Rudine Howard was 40 pounds at age 27. She looked as though she was 40 or 50 years old and no matter how hard she tried to gain weight, her brain mentality would make her think she was still "fat" and because of this, she would only get skinnier and skinnier. Around the world Rudine Howard was seen as a woman in need of a doctor 24/7 because she was so thin it looked disgusting, but she saw herself as just a regular woman who was still overweight when she looked in the mirror. I feel bad for Rudine, because she suffered a lot. At one point in 1992 she gained 40 extra pounds and was beginning to get to where she needed to be to maintain healthiness. She suffered a relapse due to her brain not being used to withholding food in her system and because of this she dropped down to 49 pounds at age 29. After this, she was hospitalized for a very long time and she could not help but cry because she knew she could not save herself from herself. Her brain was beginning to have mental exhaustion and her body was beginning to make her age faster. Seeing that video in class today made me realize that even though I may have had some insecurities about my looks here and there I will never try as hard as anorexia or bulimia to try and be thinner than what I already am. It helped me appreciate my life and myself more because there are still too many things I have yet to have explored on this Earth that I wouldn't want to miss out on. People are beautiful whatever size and shape they are, but don't ever try to change the way you look to accommodate society's ideal vision of beauty. At a certain time in a young girl's age, during her teen years, girls tend to want to change their image a lot, but other just take it too far because they want to look "Prettier". There is no such thing as looking "prettier", there is only beautiful and that is how everyone looks without the use of unhealthy "dieting" or plastic surgery.

1 comment:

  1. I think this post raises some great ideas. For one thing, I love the personal connections you make towards the end (though I think a new paragraph would have helped). I have volunteered with adaptive athletes (women with physical and/or mental disabilities). That experience gave me great insight into the relationship between the body and brain. I have learned to appreciate all of the great things my body does for me rather than worry about what it cannot do.

    ReplyDelete