Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Heart of Darkness (CRR)

In English class we have finished up the book the Heart of Darkness. In my opinion, I disliked reading the book, because it was very difficult for me as a reader to understand. That was my initial thought during the first few pages of reading the book. Once I finished the book, sort of, I began to understand the symbolism behind the book while also understanding the main character, Charles Marlow. This book isn't exactly the best book ever written, in my opinion at least, but this book did show how much the impact of your environment can truly consume your inner being and change you without you realizing how. Marlow was just an innocent being who had little to no experience of what it was like being surrounded by African natives in the Congo. Not only did he not know how to react towards them, he didn't know or understand the hatred they were getting by the Europeans who dehumanized and enslaved them. Marlow was an innocent soul who arrived to the congo at the wrong place at the wrong time. His ideal perception on life was completely turned over as the book continues to depict each timeline of his life there. Before I give away the entire book, this book was an utter disappointment but eventually found some place in me that made me understand why the characters were written the way they did, and why this book was written in the first place. This book is a version of how life is set up in the form of a semi-fictional tale. Greed and corruption basically sums up the story, but it is a perfect example of just how much people can easily change when these two things enter your system.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. This certainly isn't the most fun book to read. It is, however, full of interesting ideas of good and evil, colonialism, racism, stereotyping, and so much more.

    ReplyDelete